2 - A typical Finnish dinner

THE ATMOSPHERE 

I participated to a "seat dinner" with the University of Turku. It was on the evening and every student from Turku could enroll and pay to come and participated to this typical event of Finland. You eat typical food and at the same time there is a typical show with song in Finnish.




The atmosphere was really fun and really nice, because you are exchange students mixed with Finnish people and they learn you there traditions during the dinner.



THE ENTRANCE

For the entrance I ate what we call in Finnish "karjalanpirrakka", which are the unavoidable gourmet specialties of Finland. In the Finnish cuisine, they are often found, and often at breakfast or appetizer as for the dinner of that evening. They are rye tarts topped with rice porridge.  They are often found with egg butter.
With a small slice of smoked salmon on Archipelago bread. If you come to Finland, you should not miss to try the smoked salmon. Compared to what I am used to eating in France they are a hundred times better !




THE MAIN PLATE

For the main plate I ate game deer stew with mashed potatoes and lingonberry. It was a good experience because I never ate deer before, it was special but I liked it. This reindeer meat dish is the traditional and unmissable dish in Lapland. In Finnish, this dish is called "poronkäristys" (poro means reindeer). Many people think that reindeer meat is eaten very often in Lapland, but this is not the case. Reindeer meat is very expensive, so it is not eaten very often.




THE DESSERT

For the dessert I ate a whipped lingonberry porridge served with cream. The taste of this dessert was really weird for me, I think you have to be use to it to appreciate it. I talked with a Finnish girl during the dinner and I asked her if she used to eat that. She said to me that it was usually what they give to eat to their babies in Finland but after they don't really keep to eat it.



Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

PRESENTATION !

15 - Sauna in Finland

24 - Rauma