32 - The bike in Finland

BIKE IN FRANCE

In France to get around by bike depending on the city where you are is not always very convenient, you sometimes have to ride on the road with cars because there is no bike path and it can be very dangerous. That's why we generally see very few people on bikes, or else it's for bike rides but in a particular place or for a particular event.

BIKE IN FINLAND

What shocked me the most in Finland is the fact that EVERYBODY is cycling to do EVERYTHING at ANY time. There are much more bike paths than in France. 

And Finns have a great respect for people who are on bikes: pedestrians don't walk on the bike lane, cars stop immediately when a bike wants to cross the road. Whether it rains, snows or goes shopping at the supermarket, Finns use bicycles. I've never seen that in France.


Cycling in Finland is part of everyday life for Finns. There are hundreds of kilometers of cycle paths, including between cities. It is therefore not uncommon to see Finns cycling 10 or 20 km to a friend's house.

ABOUT ME

So I bought myself a used bike that was for sale on a facebook page for a reasonable price. And since then I have never ridden so many bikes in my life. I use it to get around anywhere and I have to admit that I find it very practical. I'm twice as fast as if I was walking and I don't need to pay for the city bus which is relatively expensive. I was very reluctant about buying a bike because I was wondering if I was really going to use it, in the end I don't regret it at all.




RULES IN BIKE

As for the very important safety rules regarding the bike, of course a helmet is highly recommended. But above all you have to have a light and be visible in the dark. Indeed, the sun stinks very early in winter so it gets dark faster and longer. Even if there are more bicycle paths than in France you have to remain visible for cars. Moreover if you do not respect this rule a police officer to fine you. 

PADLOCK

As far as the padlock is concerned, the Finns are much cooler than the French on this level. Many of them leave their bikes alone and unattended with no padlocks. It shocked me a lot at the beginning, because in France I was leaving my bike, it was limited if I didn't put three locks. But here the Finns are confident. 



Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

PRESENTATION !

15 - Sauna in Finland

24 - Rauma